Azure ML Excel Add-In 32 Bit dll Uninstall

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:50 AM
So I followed the video here: http://azuremlexcel.codeplex.com/ to install the add in, but I stupidly listened to the video as I was going without watching it in full first and installed the 32 bit .dll when I shouldn't have. Now my Excel is defaulting to the 32 bit version and ignoring that the 64 bit version exists. Short of deleting the dll or unregistering it (hundreds of links in my registry) I have no idea what might work. Don't really like either of those options... either. Any timely help on this would be greatly appreciated. I have a demo due in <12 hours.

The info page should have a warning not to do that as it is extremely difficult to undo since its writing unknown registry keys and the file can't simply be deleted.
Nov 6, 2014 at 9:12 AM
Please try the following:
  • Uncheck add-ins in excel
  • Unregister dll using regasm /unregister <dll path>
  • Go to Frameworkv64 and re-register
Nov 28, 2014 at 2:47 PM
How do I know where the 32 and 64 bit versions are? I downloaded the files and I see:
  • AzureMLPrediction.dll
  • AzureMLPrediction.tlb
  • System.AddIn.dll
I did not download the solution.
Dec 2, 2014 at 6:34 PM
It is the same file for both 32 and 64 bit. What changes is the directory you put it in.

To clarify my previous error, I had deleted the azuremlpredict folder from the location I was pointing the dll to, so it wasn’t working. It is important to note that this file must remain after the command types are registered and because of this I suggest stashing it somewhere that is not often interacted with, somewhere like appdata or mydocuments- not your desktop!

Although it wasn't relevant, thanks to neerajkh for pointing out that one can use the /unregister command that I wasn't aware of, that makes the process of uninstalling much, much simpler. I blame it being nearly 3AM at the time.

I know this was made as part of a code party of some sort, but a proper distribution would be very well received as this level of interaction with Excel makes AzureML much more "real" to executives and has been very popular with many clients and managers at Microsoft.
Dec 9, 2014 at 3:22 AM
I fully agree that we need much better ease of installation. This is part of our roadmap to support excel add-ins as first class integration with Azure ML. We will keep this thread posted as we enhance the installation and other feature enhancements to the add-in.